Thursday, August 13, 2009
GONE WITH THE WIND (1939)
I liked it more than I thought I would, even though it felt like it took a long time to get to that ending. The character of Scarlett O'Hara manages to be appealing even though she is so horrible.
BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI, THE (1957)
I think this has become one of my new favorite movies. The story is so well written and the acting is superb, especially by Alec Guinness.
BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID (1969)
I've never really watched a western, but I loved this movie. It was funny and the two main actors were fantastic (and not bad on the eyes)
Tuesday, February 3, 2009
I finished the Great Tree of Avalon series with the final book: The Eternal Flame. I know T.A. Barron has written other books about Merlin, but I don't think I'll be reading them. Even though it ended up with an entertaining story, I found the writing style annoying sometimes. For example, he would overdo writing in the accents of characters. However, I'm glad I saw the series through.
Lauren and I watched The Philadelphia Story. I liked it, but I was disappointed with who Katharine Hepburn ended up with at the end.
066. I'm still behind on laundry, but I've been doing enough to keep up with this goal
002. I haven't written in my journal since coming back to Albany. I have to restart this one.
053. So Far I have 30 dollars. I get a paycheck on Friday that I'll use to catch up.
025. I decided to pluck my own eyebrows this month because I didn't find anywhere that I would like to go yet.
050. Completed for this month. Mostly birthday wishes
065. I went to the library on Friday and am getting back in the swing of it.
Tuesday, January 20, 2009
I just finished The Great Tree of Avalon Book II: Shadows on the Stars by T.A. Barron. This is not my favorite fantasy series, but the book got better towards the end and I'm looking forward to finding out what happens to all of the characters in the third and final book.
002. Paper journal daily for a year
I am not doing well on this because I haven't written since coming back to Albany. I'm going to try to take it up again. I don't want to stress about the missed days because that is what leads me to give up writing completely.
035. Take vitamin and calcium daily for 3 months.
So far so good. I've gone 20 days.
054. Pay off my credit card
Just sent in January's payment today.
065. Go to the library once a week to do work or read.
I went with Justin last Wednesday and read some of my book. School is starting this week so I should have more work to do at the library soon.
066. Do some laundry once every 2 weeks.
I did some today and will probably have to do more this week. I hate laundry so this is really hard to motivate myself to do.
Friday, January 9, 2009
001. Read 100 books I have never read before. Finished 1/100:
The Princess Diaries Volume X: Forever Princess by Meg Cabot
I love this series and I am so sad it is over. It had a great ending though, and Meg Cabot said that she may someday write about Mia Thermopolis again! I really hope so!
002. Paper journal daily for a year
I have kept up with this so far, which I find impressive. I usually write before I go to sleep. Sometimes if I put it off too long I don't feel like writing so I do a pretty short entry. Other times I have actually written quite a bit. 8/365 days
027. Have one “me” day a month.
Finished for January '09. I went out shopping and bought new bras, sneakers, and a few video games. I also went to Barnes and Noble to have a coffee and look around.
033. Make a conscious effort to be heard the first time I say something.
I have been trying to do this, but it's going to take more work.
035. Take a vitamin and calcium every day for 3 months. I started January 1st and I've kept up with this goal so far.
045. Date with Justin once a month
Complete for January '09. We went out to dinner at TGI Friday's and then over to Barnes and Noble to look around and have coffee.
050. Write on 5 Face book walls a month. I have 4/5 for the month of January. I need one more.
053. Save $1.00 a day for 1001 days. I'm actually a little ahead on this one because I put $20.00 into my savings. I'm usually going to take the money out of my work paycheck but I'm not going back to work until the 19th.
066. Do some laundry once every 2 weeks. I did all of my laundry on 1/4/09 so I've gotten off to a good start.
084. Watch 40 of AFI’s top 100 that I haven’t seen before.
I started this one today with the number 1 movie on AFI's list. It was really weird because after I decided which movies I was going to watch my Tivo recorded Citizen Kane as a suggestion. It never records movies, and Citizen Kane was on my list so I decided to start there.
I really enjoyed it and I understand why it is so highly regarded. I am amazed that it was made in 1941. Many of the story telling techniques and cinematography would not be out of place in a more modern film. I did already know the ending, but that did not stop me from enjoying it at all.
Thursday, January 8, 2009
1. Read 100 books I’ve never read before
2. Paper journal daily for a year
3. Read 20 memoirs or biographies
11. Finish my quilt
Health and well being:
20. Find OBGYN and go to appointment
34. Take my pill at the same time every day for 3 months without missing
36. Watch only an hour of TV a day for 1 month
40. Create and donate 2 blankets to Project Linus http://www.projectlinus.org/index.html
43. Give a present to a child on a wish tree each Christmas
45. Date with Justin once a month
46. Get engaged
51. Surprise someone unexpectedly with something nice 3 times
53. Save $1.00 a day for 1001 days
54. Pay off my credit card
56. Earn my Masters of Information Studies
57. Update my resume and create portfolio
66. Do some laundry once every 2 weeks
67. Do the beginner baby steps on flylady.net
71. Wear a costume one Halloween
86. Go star gazing
90. Go to a state that is not on the East coast
101. Make a new 101 list